3 June, 2006
For details of the latest features in the new A4X decoder click here.
One of the newest decoders made by Train Control Systems is the A4X, with earlier versions being known as the A1 and A1X. It is a drop in replacement for the locomotive light board. It uses the original light bulbs. It is a four function Quiet Drive decoder with Dither. Dither is a TCS exclusive feature that provides superior slow speed control.
A4X installed in American AS2 loco
Click on the photo for a view of the decoder
- Auto detect allows operation on DCC only or DCC and DC power. TCS decoders are almost transparent on DC making the engine act like a decoder isn't there. Brake on DC allows you to control the lights while the train is in a DC block.
- Quiet Drive is active at all times which greatly reduces engine noise.
- Dither provides rapid bursts of power to overcome resistance. You control both the power and frequency. See slow speeds unequalled in the industry.
- Lighting Effects: Auto reversing headlights Blinking Ditch Lights, Mars, Gyra, Rotary Beacon, Single and Double Pulse Strobe, Opposite Dim, Flashing and Random flicker. Rule 17 headlight dimming can be set to occur when stopped, opposite the direction of travel, or both. You always have manual control.
Button Control allows you to pick the control buttons of your choice.
- Factory Reset lets you change most of your choices back to their factory default values if you get into a situation you don't like.
- 128 speed steps are active when Mid volts, Top volts, Start volts or the user loadable speed table is active for much smother operation.
- Primary 2 digit addressing or advanced 4 digit addressing may be used.
- Consist Addressing has a Special Feature allowing you to automatically turn off any undesired lighting when you add the engine to a consist.
- Goof Proof Warranty as always. One year no questions asked replacement warranty. Handled entirely by TCS.
- TCS decoders support all programming modes plus OPS mode ( on track programming ) and meet NMRA DCC standards for compatibility.
Features of the A4X decoder:
The A4X ia a NEXT GENERATION TCS decoder.
Designed for Atlas, Athearn Genesis, Kato and other disel engines with factory installed light boards the decoder has a 1.3 amp continuous output, with a 2.0 amp peak and 4 100 mA function outputs.
New features of this decoder include:
- Mars, Gyra and Rotary Beacon lights that might be adjusted for effect
- An adjustable duration Momentary Pulse has been added that can be used for uncoupling, activation of a sound module or light
- Brightness control of a dimmed light (bulb or LED)
- Improvements to Blinking Ditch Lights
- Decoder Lock allows programming decoders with the same address in one train and each can be changed independently of the others
- Button Control of the motor circuit allows the use of the motor circuit for a smoke unit or additional lighting function up to 1.2 amps
- Factory Reset is faster and easier to get back to the default settings - it is no longer necessary to power off and on to force the reset
- Button Control of functions lets up to 13 buttons control any light and Dimming and Ditch Light Flash may be control by buttons 0-6
- Momentum rate and timing can be adjusted to form a curve
To buy the A4X decoder click here.
For an instruction leaflet on the A4X decoder in PDF format, click here.
For more technical info about the A4X decoder and CV settings, click here